How do I get a green card at an embassy?

green card at embassyThere are two ways to get a “green card”. First, you can get one in the US through “adjustment of status”. Second, you get it through an embassy as an immigrant visa. To get an immigrant visa, you must have an approved Form I-130 based on a family-based or employment-based relationship that entitles you to a green card. After USCIS approves the I-130, your case is sent to the National Visa Center where you provide financial information and biographic information. Finally, your case gets sent to an embassy where you are interviewed on your “green card” application (or immigrant visa). Once the embassy approves the immigrant visa, you can enter the US, and that’s when the US government will mail you your green card.


If you need to talk to an experienced immigration attorney. We’ve helped hundreds of couples traverse the complicated immigration and citizenship process. We would love to help you as well.  Call 617-744-7919 or email to get in touch.