Should I get a fiancée visa or spouse visa?

fiancée visa or spouse visaMy preference always is a spouse visa because USCIS takes those cases more seriously. The couple has actually taken the legal step of getting married, which is a big deal. However, marriage isn’t always an option for a couple, or it may not be what the couple wants to do. So, in some cases, a fiancée visa is the best, or only, option for getting your fiancé to the US. Remember, however, if you start a case as a fiancé case and then get married, the fiancée case is no longer approvable and you need to start over with a spouse case. Also, remember that a fiancé does not enter the US as a lawful permanent resident (meaning doesn’t have a green card). Once the fiancée enters, you need to get married, apply for the green card, and wait for the green card to get approved. 


If you need to talk to an experienced immigration attorney. We’ve helped hundreds of couples traverse the complicated immigration and citizenship process. We would love to help you as well.  Call 617-714-4375 or email to get in touch.