When can I renew my two-year green card?

Renew your two-year green card on time by filing Form I-751. Prove your genuine marriage to avoid complications.You can apply to renew your two-year conditional green card by filing Form I-751, Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence, in the 90 days prior to the expiration date on your green card. For example, if your green card expires on 12/31/23, you can file anytime between October 2, 2023 and December 31, 2023. However, wait until about October 4 to file—so that it’s not early, but don’t wait until December 31, 2023 to file–make sure USCIS gets it well before December 31. 

USCIS will reject/deny your Form I-751 if you file too early or too late. Sometimes USCIS will reject the application right away, and you’ll know to fix your mistake. However, sometimes USCIS will not realize the application was early or late until it gets around to looking at your case in 12 to 48 months. If your case is denied at that point, the best case scenario is that you re-file with a good explanation for the now-late application. Worst case scenario is that USCIS denies your Form I-751 and puts you into removal (deportation) proceedings that will take years and years to complete, even if you are sure to win in Immigration Court.  

To be successful on your green card renewal, you must prove that you were in a “real marriage,” that is, that you did not fake the marriage to get a green card. Also, you must file on time. Green card renewal applications with Form I-751 are difficult to prepare and win, and USCIS is always looking for fraud in I-751 applications. 

Our team is happy to share information about immigration law. However, please remember that every situation is unique, and we believe that all USCIS applicants should be represented by an experienced, compassionate, and approachable attorney.  You may have a small issue in your situation that could cause major complications if you do not deal with it correctly. Or, small or big issues can arise after you file. For example, USCIS may make a mistake in your case. Or, USCIS’s processing procedures may change or processing times may decrease drastically. Preparing the application correctly is only part of this process; you need to understand what’s going on and what needs to happen until your green card is finally approved. 

The stakes are very high for the renewal of your green card. Don’t risk your future in the US by trying to figure this out on your own. Work with an experienced immigration attorney on this project that will determine whether you can continue your life, career, and family in the United States. 


If you need to talk to an experienced immigration attorney. We’ve helped hundreds of people traverse the complicated immigration and citizenship process. We would love to help you as well.  Call (617-676-0503) or email hello@cambridgeimmigrationlaw.com to get in touch.