Form I-944 Financial Information Required for Most Green Card Applications from within the US
As of February 24, 2020, USCIS requires that all Form I-485 Application for Adjustment of Status (“green card applications”) be accompanied by Form I-944 Declaration of Self-Sufficiency. This form requires a burdensome amount of financial documents from the US citizen or LPR petitoner and from the intending immigrant. Also, this inquiry goes well outside the prior scope of financial inquiry of whether the US citizen or LPR petitioner is eligible to obtain a green card for his/her family member. In short, the form and the requirements are unfair and likely unlawful.
The Form is at https://www.uscis.gov/i-944 .
I am still in the process of making a list of documents that are necessary for this form. In addition to my standard requests for three years of IRS tax transcripts, three years of W-2, recent paystubs and employer letters, I am requesting many more financial documents from my clients. For now, the new list of documents includes:
1. Proof of Petitioner and Beneficiary having health insurance in the form of Form 1095 (a federal tax form), a policy explanation from your health insurance company, or a letter from your employer regarding your health insurance
2. Credit reports for Petitioner and Beneficiary from one of the major credit agencies, Equifax, Experian or TransUnion
3. Latest bank statements for all Petitioner and Beneficiary’s accounts and
4. Latest statements for all retirement, investment, etc. for Petitioner and Beneficiary
5. Latest mortgage statement from any real estate owned by Petitioner and Beneficiary
6. Latest statements for any car loans, student loans, credit card debt, other loans for Petitioner and Beneficiary