Bringing Family to the U.S. on H-1B Visa, Changing Employers & Losing job on H-1B visa : FAQs Answered for H-1B Visa Holders.

Bringing Family to the U.S. on H-4 Visa & Changing H-1B Employers: FAQs Answered for H-1B Visa Holders.Can my spouse and children come to the U.S. with me?

Yes! Your spouse and unmarried children under the age of 21 can apply for H-4 status, which can be submitted with the initial H-1B petition or anytime thereafter. However, if it is not submitted with the initial H-1B petition, it would not be eligible for premium processing.


Can I change employers once I have an H-1B visa?

Yes! Your new employer must file a new H-1B petition on your behalf. This petition is referred to as a transfer. Once USCIS receives the transfer petition, you may begin working for your new employer. You do not have to wait until the petition is approved.


What happens if I lose my job on an H-1B visa?

USCIS allows a 60-day grace period (or until the end of your authorized stay, whichever is shorter) during which you can either find new employment or change your immigration status. This grace period provides some flexibility and allows you to explore your options without immediately departing the U.S. If you cannot secure new employment or change your status within the grace period, you must prepare for departure from the U.S. to avoid violating your visa status.


Navigating the H-1B visa process can be challenging. If you need legal assistance or guidance, please don’t hesitate to contact us. We’re here to help you understand your options and work towards the best possible outcome for your immigration situation.


If you need to talk to an experienced immigration attorney. We’ve helped hundreds of people traverse the complicated immigration and citizenship process. We would love to help you as well.  Call (617-744-7919) or email to get in touch.