What You Need To Do That The USCIS Instructions Don’t Tell You: Changing Your Address

You’ve read the website and all the instructions carefully, but if you are a green card holder or a sponsor, there are some things you’ll need to do even if the U.S. Customs and Immigration Service doesn’t tell you to, like changing your address. If you are in search of an immigration in Cambridge, MA and the surrounding area, click here or call (617) 714-4375 to get in touch.

Change of address

Most foreign nationals and U.S. citizens who have sponsored an immigrant must notify USCIS of any new address within ten days of a move. You’ll need to notify USCIS every time you move until you are a U.S. citizen. Even if the USCIS doesn’t have the resources to prosecute every immigrant who fails to update an address, you should always follow the rules.

Immigrants exempt from this requirement include:

  • Those with A visas: foreign diplomats and government officials
  • Those with G visas: government representatives to international organizations; and
  • Tourists and those using a visa waiver program for trips shorter than 30 days.

If you are a U.S. citizen who has filled out an Affidavit of Support, you will need to notify USCIS within 30 days of any move. You will need to do this until the sponsored immigrant becomes a U.S. citizen, gains credit for 40 quarters of work, loses or abandons resident status, or dies.

How do I inform immigration of my change of address?

You can change your address for USCIS:

You can receive an immediate email confirmation, and you should receive a mailed confirmation of your change of address within 15 days.

  • By mail:

You can fill out form AR-11, an Alien’s Change of Address Card, and send it to USCIS by mail. The AR-11 form will update your address on all pending applications and paperwork. If you are a U.S. citizen, you fill out form I-865, Sponsor’s Notice of Change of Address.

If you create an account and file paperwork online, you can also change your address through your online account.

  • By phone:

Only U.S. Citizens can notify the USCIS of a change of address by phone. Call 1-800-375-5283. If you are a foreign citizen, you must notify the USCIS of your address online or with form AR-11, even if the USCIS confirms your new address by phone.

Wherever you are in the immigration process, it’s good to speak with an experienced immigration attorney, particularly in the current political climate. I’ve helped clients around the world make the immigration process smoother and more efficient. I’d love to help you too. You can reach me at (617) 714-4375 or by clicking here.