Should I file to renew my permanent resident card if I have a pending N-400 naturalization application?

Yes, if your card will expire within six months of filing an N-400 form with the USCIS. No, if you file Form N-400 while your card is valid for at least 6 months. You must be eligible to file Form N-400 at the time you file, regardless of the expiration date of your “green card.”

If you file according to the above timelines, you will be able to obtain proof of your status—a stamp in your passport called “Alien Documentary Identification and Telecommunication” (ADIT) stamp as temporary proof of permanent residence.

Are you looking for legal assistance from an immigration attorney? Ellen Sullivan, P.T. is located in Cambridge, MA and specializes in immigration law. Call (617) 714-4375 or email to schedule an appointment with Ellen.