Is Your Green Card or I-751 Extension Letter Expiring While USCIS is Closed?

Your Green Card and/or I-751 Extension Letter

AILA has issued guidance on how to request an I-551 stamp in your passport if your green card and/or your I-751 Extension Letter expire while USCIS is closed through June 4 (or later).

AILA reports that by calling the USCIS hotline number, you can request an appointment at your local USCIS office to get an I-551 for emergency reasons. There is no list of emergency reasons that make it clear when USCIS will or will not allow you to go to the USCIS office for an I-551 stamp. Possible reasons could include that the I-551 stamp is needed to prove work authorization or for necessary international travel. AILA’s practice advisory notes that USCIS has not stated whether an expiring state driver’s license that can only be renewed with a valid I-551 will be reason enough for an emergency USCIS appoinment.

The USCIS customer service number is 1-800-898-7180.

Are you in search of an immigration attorney? Ellen Sullivan P.C. represents families and businesses and defends clients against deportation. Call (617) 714-4375 or email to get in contact.