Category: tips

Divorce and Green Cards

Divorce is never easy. But if you’re a foreign national in the US, divorce can affect your US immigration status. Below, I will discuss whether or not a divorce could affect your permanent resident status. If you are in the US as the spouse of a visa holder, the divorce may render your status invalid as of the date of the divorce.

Read More

What Should I Do if USCIS Denies My Visa?

The short answer is…you should talk to an attorney if your application has been denied. You should talk to the attorney about whether you can appeal the denial and/or resubmit the application.

Read More

Green Card Photo Requirements

When you’re ready to take your photo for your green card, it’s not the time to get artistic. U.S. Customs and Immigration Services (USCIS) and the Department of State (the agency that runs US embassies and consulates) require that all visa and green card applicants follow specific requirements for their photos. The requirements are found here. The U.S. State Department website provides examples of acceptable visa photos.

Read More

Going from a TN Visa to a Green Card

If you are a Canadian or Mexican citizen and you want to work in the U.S. temporarily, there are several visa programs available, one of which is the TN visa. The North American Free Trade Agreement, or NAFTA, created the TN visa to make temporary employment in the U.S. easier for approved Canadian and Mexican citizens. The purpose of the TN visa was to strengthen business and trade relationships between these countries. Note that the revised 2020 treaty, the United States, Mexico, Canada Agreement (USMCA) did not change the TN visa.

Read More

When and How Can I Become a US Citizen?

The path to becoming a U.S. citizen isn’t always short or straightforward. The process through which a non-citizen becomes a U.S. Citizen is called naturalization. You can become a naturalized citizen if you:

  • Have had a permanent resident (green) card for at least five years; three if you are applying for citizenship through marriage to a U.S. citizen;
  • Meet eligibility requirements, including being a person of good moral character who is at least 18 years old and able to read, write, and speak basic English;
  • Complete the 10-step naturalization process, including determining eligibility, preparing the application, taking the U.S. naturalization test, and having a personal interview.
Read More

What Should You Bring to a Green Card Interview?

If you’re preparing for a marriage green card interview, it can be an intimidating process. While the stakes are high, the best way to feel confident is to prepare. That’s why it’s essential to understand what you should expect during a green card interview and ensure you bring all of the correct records.

Read More

Can I Work in the U.S. with a Tourist Visa?

Because tourist VISAs are the easiest to obtain, people often ask me if they can work in the United States with a tourist visa. The answer is no; you generally can’t do it. If you are in the U.S. on a visitor visa, a B1 or B2 visa, you cannot accept employment to work in the United States.

Read More